The Beacon Guide
This is an unofficial guide for residents of the Beacon apartment building
(its official site) in San Francisco.
Harp - Thumbtack profile - (415) 304-1559
I used Harp to install a medicine cabinet in the bathroom, move some towel racks, and paint some walls. He did a great job
and charged a reasonable rate.
Bay City Plumbing - Porch profile
The employee Chet, at Bay City frequently comes to the Beacon. This company is also used by the management office for some building issues.
He helped fix my toilet. Some plumbers won't work in the building because it is a high-rise apartment.
Advanced Plumbing and Drain - Website
This company is run by Nick, and he helped fix a weak flush and replace a toilet in the Beacon.
Heat, Temperature, and Air Flow
- The units can get hot in the summer months. There has been extensive HOA discussion and lawsuits about the problem. Solutions residents have taken:
- Portable Air Conditioner - popular models include Sharp CV-P12PX, Honeywell MN10CESWW, and Haier.
- Portable Evaporative Cooler - I purchased a Hessaire MC37 that works reasonably well but is noisy. Its main advantage is no hoses going in and out of your window.
- Ceiling fans
- Apply for central building AC - contact the management office about this program. It requires proof, via temperature readings, that
your unit is particularly affected.
- There is good information about what people have tried on the Yahoo mailing list (see link below). Try searches for "heat gain" and "air conditioner".
- Each unit and every hallway has an air vent that is connected to a central fan system (sometimes called "Reznor fans"). When
the vents for this system open and close each day, you may hear something that sounds like drilling in your ceiling for about 5 seconds.
- We have what are known as awning (or sometimes "top hung") windows. A single screw (photo) can be easily removed to allow them to open more fully.
- To keep them propped open, the best method is to tighten a small screw called the "window tensioner". See this photo of the window joint.
To see these screws, the window must be opened very wide. Make sure to tighten the screws on both sides.
- To install mesh window screens, a resident suggested Arnold Ramos from The BAPP Group
Paint, Maintenance, Garbage
- The Beacon office took a picture of a paint can that has been used in units. They no longer have the can in this photo. Use this photo to get matching white paint at Kelly-Moore Paints.
- You'll want glossy for the bathroom and regular matte for other room walls.
- George T. reports that this garbage disposal fits and works well in Beacon kitchens: Whirlpool GC2000PE 1/2 hp in Sink Disposer, Black
- The trash company Recology provides free pickup of bulky items (mattresses, some furniture, etc.). The pickup needs to be scheduled by calling them. Use this account number to help then locate the building: 010960104
Significant Events in our History
- June 2018: someone entered the building without a key and committed a home invasion robbery, where a resident was tied up during the crime.
This is a report from the iPhone app Citizen that monitors 911 calls.
The SF police department posted another official report.
- December 2017: the parking garage experienced a number of car break-ins. Do not leave car doors unlocked or anything in your car (any bag or backpack at all is an invitation).
The building management made an official announcement which can be provided by them upon request.
Feel free to send feedback, questions, or comments to my email address at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: October 15, 2018
San Francisco, California